Sunday, January 13, 2008

The end of the creak - Carver EBB

So a while back I ordered the Carver EBB from bikeman.com, it got lost in the mail, they sent me another one and i slapped it on today. A lot of folks do not like the EBB due to the creaking. I tried Wrapping the EBB that came with the niner EBB with loads of Teflon tape. That worked for a while but eventually it wore through from adjusting the EBB when I would switch cogs.

I like the design of the Carver EBB. By turning the Set screw on the EBB it will expand inside the EBB Shell. As you can see in the Picture the shell is encased in nylon. This eliminates metal on metal movement responsible for creaking.



I am a bit concerned about the stress it may put on the frame. The EBB expands in an oval shape and you can see that the ebb changes shape a little bit. Anyway the first test ride was creakless so we shall see how it holds up.

1 comment:

Arleigh Jenkins said...

Funny. I wrote a post and saved it for TheBikeLab.com about this exact thing. It will be posting tomorrow and I just found this post!

Funny how that works.