Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A little Mount Hamilton Action.....


Well, 2 weeks ago I asked roadie joe if he would be up for a century this weekend and he surprised me. I Look forward Riding long with joe, cause its usually the only time that I can put the hurt on him. Well Joe came up with a nasty route, up and over Mount hamilton and into livermore.

The ride starts out with a 4,000 foot 20 mile climb up Mount Hamilton. We were joined by another friend Thorestein who has never completed a century before. Thorestien is a natural athlete who rides about half as much as Joe and I but can crush us on some of the shorter climbs.

The climb up hamilton started off at a pretty chill pace. On any given climb one of us usually attacks, but since we had a long day ahead of us everyone was showing some humility.....well up until i turned my IPOD on.....about an hour and a half into the climb no one was talking, I decided to turn the tunes on and well it was game on. I pulled away putting a hughe gap on roadie joe and T. I thought i was going to break free when about a mile from the Top I saw Joe, realing me in. He rolled up next to me and rolled on past.

at this piont we were getting really close to the observatory, you can see it getting closer and closer, and somtimes further away, making it difficult to judge the distance to the top.

Joe put a 100 yards on me and i couldn't tell if we were on the last switch back or not....I idnt thing I was going to be able to real him back in, but I gambled that we were on the last switch back and stood up and hammered...i was able to roll past joe about 100 feet from the top....phew..that was a smoker..


We headed down the back side of hamilton, it was awesome. we were out in the middele of nowhere

No comments: