Monday, August 06, 2007

Wilderness 101

I think if I do this race again next year, we are going to have to make a few mandatory upgrades to the Niner like maybe one of these-




Or even one of these, you know.



Seriously that was a bitch to single speed, I was either in excruciating pain trying to climb long Fire Roads, or getting passed on really easy down hill fire Roads, by dudes with gears. The niner was killing it on the single track though, as I probably passe about 15 people on different technical Down Hills only to be sucked back in on some stupid fire Road.

Oh and It was Hot and Humid- Which a I think Contributed to me not enjoying the Single Speed Climbs-but enough complaining.

It was good to see some friends, I got to ride a little bit with Buddy, a few seconds with Kieth and a few of the dudes from the IF crew. Sarah and Rob Caught up to me at about mile 30 or 40, Riding the tandem on one of those annoying down hills. They were pulling a train of about 5 other riders and I heard rob Screaming my name and to jump on. I gave it my best and almost got in on the draft, but spinning a 32 19 there was no way in hell I was going to be able to hang. It was fun to see the Tandem ripping by. Anyway I caught up with them at the aid station and got out in front of them. I didn't want to be beaten by a tandem team, even if Rob was driving, but well they eventually caught me @ Mile 90.

A few horrible climbs and sweet gnarly descents later I ran into Mike Y. He looked like I felt, I think the heat was getting to a lot of people. I kept moving. Mike and I went back and forth for a little bit, mostly because I didn't stop at the aid stations. I would walk up a gnarly climb and then he would catch me. He stopped at the last aid station and waited for me and offered to roll in to the finish with me, That was nice, We rolled over a narrow bridge crossing a creek and there were kids swiiming, we both looked on in envy, we almost stopped. I was able to hang with him almost all of the way in but i eventually blew up on one of the climbs and let him roll on out.

Anyway the last few miles were pretty much flat after that and I rolled on in crashed next to the Keg, put my hand in the ice bucket and dropped the Ice down My jersey. After a half of a beer, i went down to the creek which was Ice cold and layed down, That felt really good. Cleaned up went to get dinner loaded up my plate and almost puked, so i laid my head down. I could really eat for a few hours, so naturally I drank beer.

I hung a bit with Jason and The Bikeman crew, Huber and Buddy and a few others. The party was rolling pretty late and ended with keg Stands, Even Harlan got up to do one. (no sign of Bishop and Tinker)

So i finished dead in the middle of the single speeders that started and 89 out of 173 Men with a time of 1034. It was an expereince to ride this type of course on the one speed, but I think I would have had more satisfaction if I rode the gears and placed significantly higher.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Pete,
You kicked ass on the ss. Keep it up.
Gears? You don't need no stinkin' gears! Me, I need a f*cking motor!!