Sunday, May 20, 2007

Disaster at Granogue

I have been waiting for this day for over a year now. Over 2000 base miles logged in for the season, a top 5 in the Camp Hilbert endurance race, a Top 3 at Leesburg Baker's Dozen, one of my top goals for the season was to go out and crush it at the MASS Enurance opener, to top that this would probably be my last MASS race, so this was important. I set the race bike up with a brand new Set of Maxxis Ignitors, they stuck to the greasey mud at granogue like velcro.

Last night we went out to a graduation party, that had an asian theme. Erin's Aunt Judy pretty much always goes overboard on these types of things. You see they had these killer Korean Ribs that she has to drive 30 minutes away to pickup from a shop that only sells ribs to Korean Americans, so she has to camp out in the parking lot until she runs into a stranger who speaks English and Korean and then has to beg them to go inside in pay for them. I guess thats life in Princeton.

Well anyway a few hours later I started experiencing some explosive diareaha, about 2AM I headed out to pick up some medicine from WAWA. As i approcahed the cashier things weren't feeling right. I could tell I was going to blow chuncks, but I was really hoping the make it home. I drove for a bit, but had to pull over open the door a blow some chunks, I did that a few times, but I was paronid a cop would pull up and want to investigate a DUI so i tried to keep driving with the window open. I let it rip one more time, but out the window. It should be noted that things down below were not looking to good either. Anyway,after hosing the car down at 3AM, that was pretty much it for the evening, I figured I would have to Bail on the endurance race. I was really pissed. When I woke I decided to head on down, and if things would hold out I would race. I got to the race rode around and things seemed ok, so i was going to give it a try. The race kicked off and everyone took off, I let the top 10 go, usually I can sprint with them, but i figured given my status i would make it a race of attrition. Turns out It just wasnt happening, I start falling to the back of the pack, i was winded on all of the climbs and soon the entire sport class would pass me. After that I finished my lap went to my car and laid down for about 30 minutes. I thought for a bit, i never really quit anything before and it was pissing me off quite a bit. So i saddled up and headed out for 2 more extremely slow laps, Its was quite a humbling expereince trying to keep pace with some of the slowest riders in the field, riders who have laps on me, riders who i can usually lap multiple times.

It is what it is, the course was beautifull so i stayed positive and enjoyed the ride and tried to mingle as much as possible with others. I particularly enjoyed it when the Expert Women kicked off. Oh i hung with them for a while, believe me ;) Another reason I kept on going was that regardless of the place I came in, I would score points for the Team competition. All enurance points are counted regardless of when you come in, as long as you finish.

After finishing I rolled up to my car, changed and grabbed a cup, as the Beaner Keg had arrived. I layed down on the grass and told tall tales of my epic day in the saddle while sipping on some victory.

1 comment:

Jake said...

korean ribs are awesome, if they're made right. lol. and with the comment on explosive diahhrea, i've decided to put your blog in my favorites and become and avid reader.

i also left a response to your request on a Lincolnite riding buddy on MTBR.com